State of the Union – Weekly Update #1 – 03.28.12
Greetings SOTU Activists,
Welcome to the first of many weekly updates from State of the Union…
Here is what is going on this week.
1) Friday, March 30, 4:30 PM – Working Meeting for Committees – Please come to continue and extend the work we started on March 10. Action, Education, Points of Unity, Structure and Communication committees will each be discussing their continued work – please join us and make it as productive as possible.
Starlight Diner, 9th Ave and 34th Street (1/2/3A/C/E to 34th)
2) Friday, March 30, 4:30 PM – Happy Hour for Potential Chapter Leaders– Thinking about running for chapter leader or delegate (or know someone who is) but need help with your campaign? Not sure what building a strong chapter would entail? See our blog for details.
Shades of Green Pub – 125 East 15th Street (4/5/6/N/R/Q to Union Square)
3) Saturday, April 21, 12-3PM – Membership Meeting – Location TBA. See the following proposed agenda. Proposals on Points of Unity, our name, a skeletal membership structure, as well as discussion documents about elections, will be all distributed by April 7, two weeks before the meeting.
- Process – 10 min
- POU – 45 min – plenary decision
- Structure / Membership / Name – 15 min
- Should we run in the UFT elections? – 45 min (20 minutes in breakouts, followed by reportbacks and vote)
- Action Proposals – 30 minutes
- Committee Proposals (Education, Action, Chapter Leader Campaign) – 15 minutes
- Committee Meetup and Final Wrapup – 10 min
And here are upcoming events to hold in your calendar:
- Tuesday, April 17 – Grassroots Education Movement on meeting about the teacher evaluation system at Murry Bergtraum High School.
- Thursday, April 19 – Rally against School Closings – 4pm at Tweed (52 Broadway).
- Saturday, May 5 – Coalition for Public Education citywide public forum on organizing against mayoral control
- Saturday, May 12 – Proposed date for our May membership meeting
- and don't forget the Labor Notes Conference in Chicago on the weekend of May 4-6.